The Open Call is closed now, thank you very much for participating!
Please note, that we don`t accept any applications beyond the Open Call. For information on the upcoming residency periods, please visit the section Current Dates and Costs on our website.
Please, consider following information as GENERAL conditions, which might be updated in a specific Open Call as soon as it`s published.
In case of interest in applying for the residency, please include following documents and information in your application:
– a document comprising following information: full name, date and place of birth, citizenship, address, phone number, e-mail
– a professional CV
– a portfolio of realized projects
– a letter of motivation (max 2500 characters)
– a description of the project you intend to develop during your residency stay (incl. space requirement, goals, timeline) (max 2500 characters)
– samples of your work: video, music, sound (on a USB stick), photos (printed or on a USB stick, 72dpi, max. resolution: 1000 pixels), books, catalogues, samples of texts and other publications
The documents must be submitted as printouts.
Please do not include any web links as a portfolio or samples of work.
Please do not include any originals and note that we do not return any application material.
We do not accept applications per email.
All applications will be reviewed by a board of experts. The members of the jury are:
– Olga Okunev (project coordinator at BMUKK, department for visual arts, architecture, design, fashion, photography, video and media arts)
– Eva Schlegel (artist and commissioner of the Austrian pavilion at the Biennale di Venezia 2011)
– Marlies Wirth (curator at MAK Vienna – Museum of Applied Arts, Vienna)
– Alexandra Grausam (director of das weisse haus and studio das weisse haus)
– Klára Stolková (project coordinator of studio das weisse haus)
Application deadline: March 13, 2014 (postmark)
The results of the Open Call will be announced until the end of March, 2014.
Please send your application per post to:
das weisse haus
Application for studio das weisse haus – Artist in Residence
1040 Vienna, Austria
For more information please visit:
In case of any questions please visit: Frequently Asked Questions
In case you don`t find the answer, please contact:
Alexandra Grausam, Klára Stolková
Please, read carefully through the Terms of Agreement (see below) and note, that while applying for the residency, you automatically agree with the specified conditions.
TERMS OF AGREEMENT
– attestation of the health insurance – valid in Austria (for health and accident): The Artist in Residence must provide proof of insurance (health/accident) to das weisse haus at the latest by the time of arrival. Upon failure to do so, studio das weisse haus will take out an insurance policy for him or her, but the Artist in Residence will be responsible for the insurance charges.
– studio das weisse haus requires 80% attendance during the residency time
– participation in the Open Studio Days and other events of studio das weisse haus program
– participation in the external program organized for the Aritsts in Residence (such as daytrips, guided tours in museums, studio visits, etc.)
– Furthermore, the Artist in Residence must comply with the house rules and regulations. Intentional damages to the building or studio space must be covered by the Artist in Residence and will be deducted from his or her allowance.
– The Artist in Residence confirms his/her obligation to provide a report of his/her artistic occupation during his/her grant at the end of his residency before leaving studio das weisse haus. This report ought to be composed according to the requirements of studio das weisse haus. The resident entitles studio das weisse haus to publish all contents of this report.
– studio das weisse haus requests the courtesy from the Artist in Residence to mention the studio program in his/her works of art that emerged during the residency, be it in terms of a credit, an acknowledgement or a logo placement.
– The Artist in Residence is hereby made aware of the fact that he/she is required to declare his/her income in Austria. Beyond the monthly grant of studio das weisse haus itself, studio das weisse haus is in no case liable for any claims resulting from these payments.
– In conclusion, studio das weisse haus explicitly declares that no contract is being signed between the Artist in Residence and the residency program of das weisse haus and that studio das weisse haus does not acquire any rights to the works by the Artist in Residence.
– studio das weisse haus pays the Artist in Residence a monthly allowance of 300,- Euro to cover basic living costs. This amount will be paid cash at the beginning of each month and a written confirmation of receipt must be signed by the Artist in Residence.
– studio das weisse haus will pay each Artist in Residence once 100,- Euro to cover the production expenses for the residency project.
– studio das weisse haus covers travel expenses of the Artists in Residence: eur 200,- are assigned to residents coming from a country within Europe, eur 400,- are assigned to residents coming from a country outside of Europe.
– a bedroom in a shared apartment, a studio space (free of charge for the Artist in Residence), a shared kitchen and a shared bathroom facilities are provided by studio das weisse haus. Furthermore the Artist in Residence is responsible for keeping his/her own bedroom clean and tidy. When using shared facilities such as toilet, bathroom and kitchen, the resident shall keep them clean and tidy, with respect to the other residents sharing the apartment.
– studio das weisse haus will offer a program of social events and activities that will introduce the resident to the local institutions and connect him/her with artists, curators and other creative practitioners.
– At the end of the residency there will be a variety of opportunities allowing the resident to present his/her work – the works elaborated within the residence period. During the Open Studio Days also former works may be presented.
– Please take into consideration that we document (picture and video) the studio and residence program and the stay of the residents, artists, curators for social media, website and press purposes.